Have You Been Seriously Injured?

Call Us, We Can Help.

Common Questions About Car Accidents

A crash can leave injured people and their loved ones with a great deal of uncertainty. Faced with so many questions, it can be important to work with a knowledgeable attorney who can offer answers.

At Rousseau & Ross, we are dedicated to providing injured people in New Hampshire and Vermont with the guidance and insight they need to make informed legal decisions after a crash. From our office in Lebanon, our experienced attorneys work to resolve the uncertainty that our clients face and help them move forward with confidence.

What should I do immediately after a crash?

After a crash, it can be important to protect your health and to strengthen your claim. First and foremost, you should pull to the side of the road if you are able and assess the injuries of everyone in your car. Contact emergency medical services if anyone is seriously injured, and report the accident to the police.

If you are able, record information about the location and vehicles involved and get the contact information for any other drivers involved, as well as witnesses. You may also want to take photographs of the damage done to your vehicle, signs to indicate the accident location and both cars’ license plates.

Do I have to report a car accident?

Reporting requirements for accidents vary by state. New Hampshire law requires drivers to report a crash that caused death, injury or more than $1,000 in damage. Vermont law also requires drivers to report collisions that lead to injury or death, but reports are only required if the crash led to $3,000 or more in property damage.

However, even if you do not meet these requirements, it may still be a good idea to call the authorities to report your accident. Making a report not only creates a record of the accident but also ensures that the crash is documented if your injuries or the damages are more severe than you initially realize.

Do I need to go to the doctor if I am not injured?

Even if you do not seem injured, it can still be important to seek medical attention after a crash. Having a doctor assess your condition provides you with documentation of any injuries linked to the crash. It may also help you identify more serious injuries whose symptoms may not be immediately apparent, allowing you to get treatment early and prevent those injuries from growing worse.

Should I contact an attorney?

If the other driver’s negligent actions were at fault for the crash, an attorney’s guidance could help you hold them responsible for that negligence. An attorney can also help you navigate the claims process and negotiate with insurance companies.

If you want answers to your questions, and straightforward and honest guidance, reach out to the attorneys at Rousseau & Ross. We can help you explore your options in a no-cost consultation. Call 603-212-1176 or reach out by email to learn more.